EveryChild’s mission is to create a system that ensures children with disabilities grow up in families instead of institutions. EveryChild believes that all children can grow up in a family. Even children with the most significant disabilities and fragile medical conditions can live with families.
EveryChild, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization created in July 2000 to develop alternatives to placing children with developmental disabilities in institutions.
- EveryChild was created by child advocates and families concerned about the large number of Texas children with disabilities growing up in facilities instead of families.
- Our work is based on practice in Michigan, which was an early leader in supporting parents and recruiting other families to provide support in their homes as an alternative to institutional care.
- Helped hundreds of children move out of institutions into loving families
- Helped children at risk of admission to a facility remain at home with supports or move to a Support Family
- Significantly reduced the number of children growing up in large Texas institutions
- Gained broad acceptance for family-based alternatives in Texas
- Are recognized as knowledgeable and effective advocates for family life
- Have been invited participants in major policy advisory groups affecting children with disabilities
Our Experience and Expertise
- Deep knowledge and skills needed to support children and families with the most complex needs
- Experience working with the disability system, the health care system and the foster care system
- Relationships with stakeholders including families, providers, state agencies, advocates, and others
- Expertise grown from hands-on experience working with children and families
- Effective planning processes to support children with significant disabilities to move from facilities to families
- In-depth knowledge of Medicaid, Medicaid waiver programs and funding streams that make it possible for children to move from facilities to families
- Expertise in permanency planning for children with disabilities
Board of Directors
- Irene Clements, Chair
- Bridget Lawrence, Vice Chair
- Maureen O’Connell, Secretary
- Christy Miller, Treasurer
- Larry Elsner, Board Member
- Amy Hadley, Board Member
- Amanda LeVieux, Board Member